- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Honours) (1999);
- Green Star Accredited Professional (2003);
- Green Star Accredited Assessor (Australia and New Zealand) and original member of the Advisory Panel (2005);
- Green Star Faculty (Trainer) Member (2006);
- NABERS (formally ABGR) L2 Auditor and Mentor (2008);
- NABERS (formally ABGR) Trainer (2008).
Jonathan Dalton, Technical Director of Viridis E3, has extensive experience in the design, construction and commissioning of building services, and is recognised as one of Australia’s leading advisors on environmental rating tools for buildings. He was responsible for 8 Brindabella Circuit being awarded the first 5 Green Star Office Design rating, and for the Australian Research Council fitout being awarded the second Green Star Office Interiors rating.
In recognition of Jonathan’s environmental expertise, the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) engaged Jonathan in mid 2005 to present the Green Star training course across Australia and to formally review accreditation submissions. In addition, the GBCA regularly engage Jonathan to assist with other work including development of technical manuals, responding to project queries and providing advice on integration with other environmental rating systems. In June 2007, Jonathan trained the New Zealand Green Building Council and their Assessment Team, helping them complete their first two project assessments.
In 2008, Jonathan was selected by the NSW Department of Environment and Climate Change to deliver the NABERS (National Australian Built Environment Rating System, formally ABGR) training course and complete the comprehensive Level 2 Audits and mentored ratings for new assessors.
Jonathan founded Viridis E3 in 2005 (previously called Sustainable FX), after being the Services and Environmental Manager for the design and construction of a number of large green building projects. This involved the design and implementation of solutions including displacement ventilation, labyrinth cooling, active thermal mass conditioning, centralised plant and heat reclamation systems, all of which delivered environmental benefits including reduced energy consumption and improved indoor environment quality.
Jonathan’s passion for green buildings and renewable energy started whilst studying Mechanical Engineering at University. Through an exchange program with the USA, Jonathan participated in the Univerity of Illinois Sunrayce competition team, presenting to potential business sponsors for their solar vehicle. Following this, Jonathan completed his engineering honours thesis writing a computer program to model natural ventilation in buildings. On completion of his degree, he spent many years modelling air movement and occupant comfort in buildings, and designing energy efficient air-conditioning systems.
Environmental Rating Tool Development:
- NABERS Energy & Water (Technical Advisor for Validation Protocol Review);
- Green Star Public Building (Expert Advisor);
- Green Star Residential / Mixed Use (Expert Advisor);
- Green Star Industrial (Expert Advisor);
- NABERS Indoor Environment & NABERS Waste (Technical Advisor);
- Green Star Public Space (ie Convention Centre) (Expert Advisor);
- Green Star Education (Leader Energy and Emissions Groups);
- Green Star Office Existing (member and responsible for revision);
- Green Star Health Facilities (Leader Energy Group);
- Green Star Retail/Shopping Centre (Leader Energy Group).
- Thornlands South State Primary School (Aspire and Broad Construction Services)
- Bond University Sustainability Faculty (Bond University);
- William McCormack House, Cairns Office Building (QLD Government & Laing O’ Rourke);
- Joint Command Centre Zillmere (QLD Government Project Services);
- Weipa Hospital (QLD Government & Laing O’Rourke);
- Maroochydore State Government Office Building (QLD Government & Hutchinson Builders);
- Maroochydore State Government Office Fitout, 5 Green Star Interiors (QLD Government);
- Northbridge/Santos Place 6 Green Star Office (Hutchinson Builders);
- 400 George St Brisbane 5 Green Star Office (Thiess);
- QLD EPA Fitout Brisbane, 5 Green Star Interiors (Thiess and QLD Government);
- Leighton Contractors Head Office, 6 Green Star Interiors (Leighton Contractors).