Many organisations wish to undertake environmentally sustainable projects, but do not wish to seek environmental certification. By establishing a sustainability brief with the client and project teams a foundation is laid that underpins the design process to facilitate optimal environmental outcomes.
This is achieved through a wide range of skills and tools at Viridis disposal as a result of in depth and integrated knowledge across buildings, software, and simulation modelling of energy use, thermal comfort, daylight (including glare) and natural ventilation. If desired at a later date, the outputs of the assessment can be used in Green Star assessments and can be used to predict future NABERS ratings.
Viridis helps you meet the requirements of the Building Code of Australia Section J (Energy efficiency). This may be under the Deemed to Satisfy Clause (DTS) requirements for your climate zone, or under the Assessment and Verification of an Alternative Solution (termed Sub-clause JV3), where a higher level of energy efficiency is expected by taking additional measures over those deemed to satisfy the basic requirements.
Viridis provides guidance on design of buildings around PassivHaus and EnerPHit design and support.
Projects have ranged from multi-million dollar sports and leisure facilities to the assessment of more than sixty ACT school building projects under the Building Education Revolution (BER) program
Viridis ESD advice has included the evaluation of building products for suppliers, and the writing and review of Environmental Management Plans and Environmental Management Systems (e.g. ISO 14001).
As an extension to project-specific advice and support, Viridis has developed several tailored ESD guidance documents and standards for a variety of clients that can apply to major new projects, refurbishments and maintenance activities.
Recent projects include:
- ESD Consultant on the $30M Aqualink Centre redevelopment in Box Hill for Whitehorse City Council
- ESD Consultant on the $35M Werribee Sports and Fitness Centre for City of Wyndham
- ESD review of the Dr Chao Chak Building by Frank Gehry for UTS.
- ESD assessment and design input into more than 60 ACT school building projects under the Building Education Revolution (BER) program
- ESD & Section J advice on the new Daramalan College Sharpe and Lysaught Building projects
- Development of ‘Minimum Green’ requirements for the Australian National University to apply to major projects, refurbishments and maintenance activities.
- Development of ESD standards for new construction and refurbishment projects for the University of Canberra.